LOCATION: The Owls Head, South Thomaston and Thomaston Solid Waste Cooperative operates a solid waste and recycling transfer station at 34 Buttermilk Drive which is the first road to East of the Dragon Cement Plant off Rt. 1 and near the Rockland Thomaston Town Line.
HOURS OF OPERATION: The facility is open from 8 AM till 4 PM on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In winter it may close during storms. Please call 594-0748 to find out if it is open. Please let the phone ring on regular open days as the crew may be outside helping users.
COST OF STICKERS: An Orange and Black transfer station sticker is needed in order to transfer your trash, and other items listed below. They are available at your town office for $15 (This price will Expire 12-31-2018) for a two year sticker. Please have your sticker visible when you enter the transfer station.
THE TRANSFER STATION CANNOT TAKE LIQUIDS IN ANY MANNER, SHAPE OR FORM
WHAT CAN WE TAKE FOR DISPOSAL?
PERC FACILITY ACCEPTABLE WASTE: Some of the waste we take gets transferred to the Penobscot Energy Recovery Company ("PERC"). The PERC facility will accept solid waste that meets the following definition found in its waste disposal agreements:
"Acceptable Waste" means Solid Waste, including all ordinary household, municipal, institutional, commercial and industrial wastes which consist primarily of combustible materials, except for the following:
- Demolition or construction debris from building and roadway projects or locations
- Liquid wastes or sludges
- Abandoned or junk vehicles
- Hazardous Waste
- Dead animals or portions thereof or other pathological wastes
- Water treatment facility residues
- Tree stumps (PLEASE NOTE: Although PERC does not accept tree stumps we do have a stump dump. For information on the stump dump click HERE)
- Tannery sludge
- Waste oil
- Discarded "white goods" such as freezers, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. (PLEASE NOTE: Althought PERC does not accept "white goods" we do. Please see our policy below titled "White Metal Goods")
- Waste which in the reasonable judgment of COMPANY'S weigh station operator based solely upon a visual inspection has a BTU content of less than 4000 BTUs per pound unless the waste fails to meet the aforementioned BTU minimum requirement solely because of the moisture content of such waste and such moisture content is due to abnormally wet weather conditions; and
- Waste which, in the reasonable judgment of COMPANY based on a visual inspection at the time of delivery could, if processed; result in damage to the Facility, interruption of normal Facility operations or extraordinary processing or maintenance costs, solely by virtue of the physical or chemical properties of such waste.
WHITE METAL GOODS: Washers, dryers, gas or electric ranges etc. $5.00. Refrigerators or any other unit with a compressor with refrigerant in it -$10.00 Refrigerators with locking doors must have doors removed.
PAINTS, STAINS, OR OTHER CANNED LIQUIDS:Small pieces of metal go into the roll off to the East of the old hopper site at no charge. Open cans with dried up paint go into hopper. All other liquids in cans must be taken home and mixed with sawdust, kitty lietter, sand etc. and left to harden then thrown into the hopper.
USED MOTOR OIL: Area garages take straight used oil. Ask your attendant for the name of a facility in your town.
FREE FOR RESIDENTAIL USERS:
FLUORESENT TUBES & CFLS: Fluorescent tubes (all lengths, shapes and sizes) and CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Lamps) See attendant in operators building. Do not break and put in plastic bag. Broken bulbs require special handling. Call Maine DEP in Augusta or go to their web site for instructions.
ITEMS WITH MERCURY: We are licensed to take household items that contain mercury or PCBs. See Attendant.
ALL PLASTICS: All plastics with recyclable symbols 1 thru 7 embossed on the bottom. We cannot take plastic bags, food wrapping, bubble wrap or any other light weight “floating” plastic material. Please return to stores or put in rubbish barrels outside of the two single stream roll off containers.
FOOD GRADE GLASS BOTTLES: All colors of food grade glass bottles but no glass bulbs, cooking pans, fish bowls, drinking glasses, outside light covers etc. These cannot-yet- be recycled.
REDEMPTION BOTTLES & CANS: Redeemable glass bottles and cans (must show embossing or label that says ME 5 cents-15 cents) Please put these in grocery carts outside of the single stream roll off container. All of these go to the Knox County Humane Society.
CARDBOARD: Clean and flattened non-waxed boxes go in the three small dumpsters.
THE CO-OP CANNOT HAVE ANY LIQUIDS GO INTO THE HOPPERS. PLEASE DRAIN RAINWATER, FISH JUICE, ETC. AT HOME PRIOR TO COMING TO THE STATION.
Revised: January 2015, February 2013